Whoooopsies! I think this is my first Friday Five since November. Yikes! How did that happen, you ask? Well, traveling around the holidays must have thrown me off in December, and then in January we were waist deep in the blog facelift, so I was purposely not blogging to kind of keep traffic away. So here we are in February! And boy, did February go quickly! It was filled with lots of downtime, some travel, and an unusual amount of snow and (shudder) ice. Loved the snow…not so much the ice. So without further adu, here’s 5 things on my mind from February, and my favorite Instagrams from the month!
1. The Slow Season: Can I just say that I am LOVING the time off from weddings lately? Since work was really busy all the way through (and actually DURING) the holidays in 2013, I’d been long awaiting some time to re-fresh my creative juices and focus on some personal projects. I’ll talk more about those in the following points, but it’s been so great and I am SO excited for spring weddings to start just in a few weeks!
2. “Just for Fun Shooting”: I didn’t do much of this last year but in the last few months I’ve picked up my camera for personal projects and it’s been great. Shooting new and different things, straight from the heart, is soul-food for a photographer :)
3. Spring!: Spring is right around the corner! We’ve been teased with some amazing weather in the 70′s, and even up to 80, but right now we’re back in the 50′s during the day, and 20-30′s at night. I can’t wait for the leaves to be green again and for the days to be longer, but I know when it’s a zillion degrees out I’ll miss this whole 50′s thing, too.
4. The Big House Project: If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed my #projectcroftfarmhouse hashtag. I’m not a big “hashtagger” but deciding to chronicle the journey of our house transformation was a good idea, because it’s so rewarding to look back and see all that we’ve been through in the last year with the house. I’ll be blogging next week about the most recent updates, but for now, check out an iPhone image or two below.
5. Contentment: Being at peace with this season of life has been HUGE on my heart lately. I think about it so much and I really and truly feel an overwhelming sense of contentment lately. I feel like because of the exciting changes with our house, it’s so easy to always be looking at the next big step and looking forward to it. And then that step is replaced with the next, and soon we’re going to miss being at the step before. So the house has really made me ultra aware of this lately, but I also feel it in other parts of our life. Dustin and I’s work schedules are often very different, and last year it was really hard and kind of frustrating at times to have so little time together. But I try to be content in knowing this season of life is not forever. It will change, and life will bring new challenges, and one day, as crazy as it seems sometimes, I will miss this. I will miss all of the independence, the traveling, the time I get to sit and think in quiet because it’s just me, and the ability to spend my days however I want because I’m not necessarily thinking about kids, or cooking dinner, or endless laundry, and so many other things. So yes, I’m really excited about the future, but I’m also so grateful for where we are right now and the fact that this time in our lives is fleeting and we WILL miss it.
It’d been a while since I’d ventured onto the land behind our property with the dogs. It’s off limits during hunting season, but since we’re in the clear now, I thought it’d be fun to explore a bit during the slow season of winter. I love seeing new places and it always leaves me so inspired and fulfilled.
I’ve lived here since June of 2011 and one of the things I miss the most is snow. I think if I was back home in Maryland, having the kind of winter they’ve had, I would think I was crazy for saying that. But a good snow every now and then is nice…it’s an excuse to cozy up inside for part of the day, explore, admire, and play other parts of the day, and as a kid I always loved the excitement and anticipation of snow’s arrival. But as anyone who knows snow knows (how’s that for a tongue twister?), it leaves such a big mess and can also make for some pretty dangerous conditions.
About two weeks ago we had just the perfect amount of snow (okay, I could have taken just a bit more), and it even stuck around for almost 2 days before melting. Dustin, the dogs and I all snuggled up and watched tv, ate good food, and were all around super lazy. It was really nice for a change, and so neat to see the farm covered in such a pretty white blanket for the first time since I’ve lived here. I had fun exploring and taking pictures with the dogs and think it’s so cool to see how different the farm looks throughout the seasons each year. I have to admit that these snowy pictures are some of my favorites because who knows how long until we will see snow again? Check below to see some of my past farm blog posts.
I officially fail and am really confused about what month I should be doing the Friday Five today. I think it’s my November wrap up, but I’m so thrown off because of the holiday last week. So I guess we’ll just go on with it! November was here and gone in the blink of an eye, and I’m already flabbergasted (love that word) that we’re through the first week of December. I have no idea why, but every year I think that December will be relaxing and slow and will mean so much extra time to do fun holiday stuff and spend extra time with my family. Every year I get more and more wrong. I’m so grateful for all of the opportunities that have popped up last minute, but sometimes I wish I could swap them for after the New Year so that I could be 100% present with my family during the holidays. But, it’s a great opportunity to learn how to soak in all of the busyness and excitement of the holidays while also juggling lots of work! All great things…I can’t complain!
Without further adu, here are my favorite Instagrams from November…
And some of my favorite things about November/December coming up…
1. Oysters: Dustin and I LOVE oysters. He eats ‘em raw, but I love them steamed and/or oysters Rockefeller or like we had them at the Old Oyster Factory at the beginning of the month, with baked cheese on top. NOM. One of my favorite things about entering the months with “r’s” is that it’s oyster time once again. We were lucky enough to have them not once, but twice this month. Such a treat, and I can’t wait for us to have a weekend to steam them on the back porch :)
2. Hilton Head and Asheville: In November, Dustin and I went on two really fun getaways. At the beginning of the month, we decided on an impromptu trip to Hilton Head Island for the night. We had a really nice dinner, went out with his sister, and the next morning had a yummy breakfast and did a little shopping on the way out. It was totally spur of the moment and so fun. Then in the middle of the month,we took our planned belated 1st Anniversary trip to Asheville. The dogs got to go so that was fun. We went ziplining on Saturday, hit up a really awesome little flea market, ate lots of yummy food, and hiked up to Chimney Rock on Sunday with the dogs. This kind of stuff is so good for the soul and I can’t wait for our next little adventure :)
3. Landon time!: Around Thanksgiving, I also got some extra time with my buddy. Since there were a lot of weekends this year where I missed him (he was here but I was traveling for weddings), it was so fun to make up for lost time, just the two of us. We played a lot of games, and also spent a day at the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia. We fell in love with this koala bear, had fun watching the elephants, and just overall had such a great time. I’m so fortunate to have that little man in my life and really grateful for our relationship and how most days, I get to be more of a friend than a mom figure. Fortunately, that makes me cool…for now haha :)
4. Surprise Thanksgiving: Although we’d been planning to spend Thanksgiving in Maryland, my mom had NO idea. We walked into her house around 11am Thanksgiving morning while she was rushing around preparing for dinner, and she literally lost it…it was the sweetest thing ever :) I’m really grateful for my awesome husband who came up with the idea to surprise her and made me keep the secret. It KILLED me to pretend like we weren’t coming when I knew we were! But it was definitely worth it to see her face!
5. End of year: Even though I can’t believe how quickly 2013 has gone, I always love the end of year business stuff. The business nerd in me loves looking back at my numbers and analyzing how I did and where I could tighten up or afford to take more risks, evaluating my goals, determining what worked and what didn’t work, and setting new goals and making new plans for the new year. Next week will lend a couple days for me to do all of that good stuff as well as start really preparing for my blog face lift that is right around the corner. It always feels so good to tie up the end of the year in a nice little package and really be ready to hit the ground running at the start of the New Year.
Happy December, everyone! Soak in every second with family and friends that you can :)
It’s insane to me that we’re welcoming the first day of the last two months of the year. It’s definitely that time where things are winding down, I’m looking back at 2013, planning for 2014, and prepping for the holidays. I’m sure every year that passes will continue to be the fastest year of my life, but this year has gone by in the blink of an eye. I’m so excited that now that it’s November, Thanksgiving and Christmas are not far at all. I love spring, summer, and fall, but the holidays are so extra special. There’s nothing better than an excuse to cook and bake more than usual, burn cider/pumpkin/apple/fir smelling candles, cozy up with the ones you love the most, and shop for friends and family :) Especially after this whirlwind of a year, the holidays are going to be extra special this year!
Since October was a great month full of incredibly sweet couples, beautiful weddings, quality time with my boys and furbabies, and no airplanes (woohoo!), here’s a look back at some of my favorite Instagram’s…
1. Blog Facelift: I’ve known it needed to happen for over a year now, it was just a matter of making everything come together at the right time, but I’m so excited to share that at the start of 2014 the blog will be getting a big facelift. It’ll be transitioned into a blogsite, meaning my main portfolio website will go away and I’ll have one singular internet home for BCP. I know this will be such a good change for my business and a great opportunity to revisit the design elements and mature the blog a bit as I’ve fine tuned what I’m shooting and who I’m shooting for.
2. November: November is going to be such a fun month for us. After somewhat being passing ships in the night, I’ll finally have some quality time at home with Dustin on the weekends and we even have a few little getaways planned. I only have one weekend of out of state travel, and that will be a good weekend too, but I’m so excited to have FOUR other weekends to be home. November is also a big month for Clemson & Carolina fans, so we anxiously look forward to that Saturday, and of course there’s Thanksgiving, the unofficial start of all things Christmas, some family birthdays, and cool, crisp weather perfect for riding. The only thing I’m not feeling is that time change situation haha.
3. Slowing down: I always feel like my mind is going 500 miles a minute or I make silly little mistakes too often because I’m not taking my time. A big goal for this year has been to learn to let go and slow down, and I did well for a while, but now it’s time for a refresher so that I can carry those efforts through to 2014. In November I’ll be making more effort than ever to slow down, listen, and be positive.
4. Goals!: It’s game time for tying up those loose ends and focusing on my undone goals for the year. It’s been a great year and I’ve accomplished many of my goals, but I still have a handful I’d love to cross off the list before 2014 arrives. We shall see! One big goal that I finally started on, after TWO YEARS, is designing our yearly family photo books. I sat down one night to design 2009/2010 and it was so fun re-living the early stages of Dustin and I’s relationship and seeing Landon so little. We also got Lexi in 2010 so there was lots of puppy pics to awwww over :) You can see a peek into that book here and here.
5. #ForWeddingPhotogs: If you’re a wedding photographer, you have to see this. One of my two friends from Colorado discovered this (can’t remember which, haha sorry Katie’s) but I’m steady laughing over them because they are SO. TRUE. So thanks to whoever maintains this Tumblr and keeps me entertained.
Happy November! Make it the best one yet :)
Hi! I’m Brittani, and I’m a South Carolina and Georgia wedding and portrait photographer. I’m also a wife, bonus mom, animal lover, and passionate about creating real, timeless, and romantic images that tell a story and are full of life. I’m inspired by light, love, the outdoors, and adventures with my family. Feel free to browse the blog to see more of my work, learn a bit about my life, and don’t hesitate to send me a note if you’d like to chat!