Categories: Business & Photography.
Things have been a little slow on the blog lately but that’s only because life has been SO crazy and busy! I cannot believe how quickly this year is going. We are already halfway through 2012, I’m about to have my 23rd birthday, weddings that felt like a lifetime away are right around the corner (including mine!! ahh!), and Christmas will be here before we know it. Holy cow. 2012 slow your roll.
Since the end of June officially marked the halfway point in the year, I thought it would be good to check in on my 2012 goals. And just a fun fact, I’m actually writing this from my car while Dustin and I drive 550 miles north to Maryland, and I’m pretty sure the last update post I wrote for my 2012 goals was when I was in Maryland in early April. Funny enough, at the end of September I’ll also be back in Maryland for another weekend of weddings and sessions. So I guess all of my “goals update” posts will be coming from Maryland or somewhere on 95 North :)
So let’s cut to the chase. In addition to the goals I’ve already accomplished this year, I have also…
4. Continued to actively second shoot as often as the opportunity arises. Since the end of March I’ve been so fortunate to shoot with Paige three more times, Katie Stivers of Kathleen Amelia – Photographer twice, Anna K. twice, and Carmen Ash once. I kind of jumped into weddings blind last year without any second shooting experience so this year was huge for me learning from the backseat perspective. I’ve learned an enormous amount from these four photographers and am super grateful that they allowed me to be a part of such important days for their clients.
6. Continued to volunteer for shelters and pets in need. Same situation as before…not as often as I’d like because I’m still finding it difficult to build a long-term relationship with a shelter anywhere nearby, but I’ve worked with a few groups here and there. Of course I’ll always love my LLR dogs and volunteers too and I’m hoping to have another meet up at the James Island Dog Park soon before the summer is up. Those LLR dogs are SO special to me!
18. Get a new backup body. A few months ago I bit the bullet and upgraded my backup body to a lightly used D7000.
20. Better learn on-camera flash and completely learn off-camera flash. I am getting there on this one. I still feel like I have so much to learn about on-camera flash before I start to tackle off-camera, but fortunately I am attending the Justin & Mary Lighting Intensive workshop next week in Richmond so I can’t wait to learn from two of the best.
21. Plan a calendar for next year, with a portion of the proceeds going to benefit an organization. I’m getting there with this idea. It’s not quite a calendar but a friend brought something really cool to my attention so I’m kind of stewing over the idea and hoping to start researching the details a bit more soon.
In terms of lifestyle/other goals, I have…
24. Read one book a month. I’ve been using GoodReads.com to keep up with the books I want to read and am loving having a way to keep track of everything.
27. Ride my horses at least 4 times a month each. I’ve been riding but definitely not consistently. I know for June I rode each of my horses 3 times each, but I really need to get on a schedule where I can have set days I am riding each week.
So – this update is a little disappointing because I still feel like there are so many things I want to get done the rest of the year. Some goals are year-long so of course they can’t be marked off until the end of the year, and some goals are ongoing and things I’m continuously working on. But at the same time, things like making a daily schedule, having a date night once a month (which will be possible again come August when Dustin moves back from Oklahoma!), buying Christmas gifts throughout the year, and finding or making the “perfect” black and white action are things I just need to buckle down and do.
Has anyone else made a list of goals for 2012? If so, how are you doing with them?
Photo by Kelly Sauer Ltd. Co.
Hi! I’m Brittani, and I’m a South Carolina and Georgia wedding and portrait photographer. I’m also a wife, bonus mom, animal lover, and passionate about creating real, timeless, and romantic images that tell a story and are full of life. I’m inspired by light, love, the outdoors, and adventures with my family. Feel free to browse the blog to see more of my work, learn a bit about my life, and don’t hesitate to send me a note if you’d like to chat!