I officially fail and am really confused about what month I should be doing the Friday Five today. I think it’s my November wrap up, but I’m so thrown off because of the holiday last week. So I guess we’ll just go on with it! November was here and gone in the blink of an eye, and I’m already flabbergasted (love that word) that we’re through the first week of December. I have no idea why, but every year I think that December will be relaxing and slow and will mean so much extra time to do fun holiday stuff and spend extra time with my family. Every year I get more and more wrong. I’m so grateful for all of the opportunities that have popped up last minute, but sometimes I wish I could swap them for after the New Year so that I could be 100% present with my family during the holidays. But, it’s a great opportunity to learn how to soak in all of the busyness and excitement of the holidays while also juggling lots of work! All great things…I can’t complain!
Without further adu, here are my favorite Instagrams from November…
And some of my favorite things about November/December coming up…
1. Oysters: Dustin and I LOVE oysters. He eats ‘em raw, but I love them steamed and/or oysters Rockefeller or like we had them at the Old Oyster Factory at the beginning of the month, with baked cheese on top. NOM. One of my favorite things about entering the months with “r’s” is that it’s oyster time once again. We were lucky enough to have them not once, but twice this month. Such a treat, and I can’t wait for us to have a weekend to steam them on the back porch :)
2. Hilton Head and Asheville: In November, Dustin and I went on two really fun getaways. At the beginning of the month, we decided on an impromptu trip to Hilton Head Island for the night. We had a really nice dinner, went out with his sister, and the next morning had a yummy breakfast and did a little shopping on the way out. It was totally spur of the moment and so fun. Then in the middle of the month,we took our planned belated 1st Anniversary trip to Asheville. The dogs got to go so that was fun. We went ziplining on Saturday, hit up a really awesome little flea market, ate lots of yummy food, and hiked up to Chimney Rock on Sunday with the dogs. This kind of stuff is so good for the soul and I can’t wait for our next little adventure :)
3. Landon time!: Around Thanksgiving, I also got some extra time with my buddy. Since there were a lot of weekends this year where I missed him (he was here but I was traveling for weddings), it was so fun to make up for lost time, just the two of us. We played a lot of games, and also spent a day at the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia. We fell in love with this koala bear, had fun watching the elephants, and just overall had such a great time. I’m so fortunate to have that little man in my life and really grateful for our relationship and how most days, I get to be more of a friend than a mom figure. Fortunately, that makes me cool…for now haha :)
4. Surprise Thanksgiving: Although we’d been planning to spend Thanksgiving in Maryland, my mom had NO idea. We walked into her house around 11am Thanksgiving morning while she was rushing around preparing for dinner, and she literally lost it…it was the sweetest thing ever :) I’m really grateful for my awesome husband who came up with the idea to surprise her and made me keep the secret. It KILLED me to pretend like we weren’t coming when I knew we were! But it was definitely worth it to see her face!
5. End of year: Even though I can’t believe how quickly 2013 has gone, I always love the end of year business stuff. The business nerd in me loves looking back at my numbers and analyzing how I did and where I could tighten up or afford to take more risks, evaluating my goals, determining what worked and what didn’t work, and setting new goals and making new plans for the new year. Next week will lend a couple days for me to do all of that good stuff as well as start really preparing for my blog face lift that is right around the corner. It always feels so good to tie up the end of the year in a nice little package and really be ready to hit the ground running at the start of the New Year.
Happy December, everyone! Soak in every second with family and friends that you can :)
Categories: Business & Photography.
I’ve been terrible at sharing features this year, but I figured its time to share one more time before the end of 2013. It’s been such a great year and I’m endlessly grateful to the bloggers and editors who have shared my work with their readers. There is no shortage of beautiful couples out there whose images they can choose from so it’s always an honor to have mine included.
And finally, it was so flattering when Grey Likes Weddings reached out in October and invited me to be a member of their exclusive vendor guide, Grey’s Collective. Such an honor to be listed among some of the most well-established photographers in the industry!
I’ve been super lucky to second shoot so often this year for Paige of Paige Winn Photo. So many of her couples this year chose to get married at Lowndes Grove Plantation in Charleston, South Carolina and it’s easy to see why. Lowdnes is elegant, classic, offers so much Charleston charm, is close to downtown, and can be dressed up or dressed down so many different ways. Taylor and Lee chose to have their ceremony in front of the dock and it was so beautiful to watch Taylor walk through those awesome rustic doors toward Lee down by the river. These two were the easiest to be around all day and seeing them together made my heart melt. They are so blessed to have such amazing family and friends and I was really appreciative Paige asked me to be a part of this day. Enjoy some of my favorites!
It’s always an exciting opportunity to shoot alongside Paige Winn of Paige Winn Photo, and being present for her sweet couple, Meghan and Jordan’s wedding day was no exception. While the ceremony took place at a beautiful church in downtown Charleston, both the preparation and reception all happened at the stunning Lowndes Grove Plantation. It was a great evening of celebration for these family and friends, and you can’t help but ohh and ahh over their gorgeous reception and the unique look that fruit added to the decor. I was a little obsessed with those precious flower girls, and then there was Meghan’s cupcake tower, which was definitely one of a kind! So fun :)
It’d been forever since I’d photographed the “family” dogs, so this past weekend while I was home in Maryland I jumped at a spare few hours to photograph all of the critters who call my mom’s place, Waterside Farm, home. There’s Jake the Springer Spaniel, Thor the Bulldog, Archie the Golden Retriever, Sophie the Labrador Retriever, Electra rescue kitten who sadly just passed away this weekend :(, and the newest addition, Harley the Beagle. I love all of these sweet faces and I’m sure you’ll see why :) Aren’t they all so photogenic? And to me, their personalities are so clearly identifiable.
Although I have deep roots in Maryland where I grew up, I am absolutely in love with all things southern. I live on a farm in a small town in South Carolina with my handsome husband, my beautiful step-son, our two yellow lab fur-kids, and three spoiled horses. My blog is a journal of sorts. It’s where I can share all about the things I love so much: my family, our life together, and of course all of the amazing and wonderful people and pets whose story I get to tell.
I love collaborating with laid-back and down- to-earth couples who appreciate the value their wedding images will have for the rest of their lives, and I believe in unique weddings that are truly designed around two people and who they are together. I strive to create images that are emotional, organic, fresh, and genuine, but that will remain timeless twenty, thirty, or sixty years down the road. I believe in printed images, developing friendships with my clients, and having a completely relaxed and enjoyable wedding experience. Each and every story I get to tell is unique and I truly enjoy sharing all of the little pieces that together form this beautiful relationship.
I am currently booking weddings for 2013 and 2014, so please get in touch below to start the journey of documenting your love.