What an honor it was to shoot alongside Paige of Paige Winn Photo during Dana and Brett’s wedding at the beautiful William Aiken House in Downtown Charleston back in January. They lucked out with gorgeous weather for an outdoor winter wedding, and the entire day came together flawlessly, ending in a fun encore on the dance floor and my favorite sparkler exit yet. Enjoy some of my favorites!
I was browsing Pinterest one evening when I saw this picture that really resonated with me. It was a mom holding her daughter in close and she had this awesome hat on, but you couldn’t see her face. Of course I immediately took a picture of it with my phone and texted it to Paige telling her it made me think of her and Hadley. Paige is obsessed with hats, especially bowler hats, and Hadley has picked up on that love too :) So when Paige suggested we re-create it in our own way, I was super excited. She had Sarah of 428 Main Vintage Rentals make these great black tulle skirts, and we did a quick mini shoot in Paige’s front yard. I love what we got and think it feels totally just like the two of them, which is just what we were going for. Enjoy!
Whoooopsies! I think this is my first Friday Five since November. Yikes! How did that happen, you ask? Well, traveling around the holidays must have thrown me off in December, and then in January we were waist deep in the blog facelift, so I was purposely not blogging to kind of keep traffic away. So here we are in February! And boy, did February go quickly! It was filled with lots of downtime, some travel, and an unusual amount of snow and (shudder) ice. Loved the snow…not so much the ice. So without further adu, here’s 5 things on my mind from February, and my favorite Instagrams from the month!
1. The Slow Season: Can I just say that I am LOVING the time off from weddings lately? Since work was really busy all the way through (and actually DURING) the holidays in 2013, I’d been long awaiting some time to re-fresh my creative juices and focus on some personal projects. I’ll talk more about those in the following points, but it’s been so great and I am SO excited for spring weddings to start just in a few weeks!
2. “Just for Fun Shooting”: I didn’t do much of this last year but in the last few months I’ve picked up my camera for personal projects and it’s been great. Shooting new and different things, straight from the heart, is soul-food for a photographer :)
3. Spring!: Spring is right around the corner! We’ve been teased with some amazing weather in the 70′s, and even up to 80, but right now we’re back in the 50′s during the day, and 20-30′s at night. I can’t wait for the leaves to be green again and for the days to be longer, but I know when it’s a zillion degrees out I’ll miss this whole 50′s thing, too.
4. The Big House Project: If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed my #projectcroftfarmhouse hashtag. I’m not a big “hashtagger” but deciding to chronicle the journey of our house transformation was a good idea, because it’s so rewarding to look back and see all that we’ve been through in the last year with the house. I’ll be blogging next week about the most recent updates, but for now, check out an iPhone image or two below.
5. Contentment: Being at peace with this season of life has been HUGE on my heart lately. I think about it so much and I really and truly feel an overwhelming sense of contentment lately. I feel like because of the exciting changes with our house, it’s so easy to always be looking at the next big step and looking forward to it. And then that step is replaced with the next, and soon we’re going to miss being at the step before. So the house has really made me ultra aware of this lately, but I also feel it in other parts of our life. Dustin and I’s work schedules are often very different, and last year it was really hard and kind of frustrating at times to have so little time together. But I try to be content in knowing this season of life is not forever. It will change, and life will bring new challenges, and one day, as crazy as it seems sometimes, I will miss this. I will miss all of the independence, the traveling, the time I get to sit and think in quiet because it’s just me, and the ability to spend my days however I want because I’m not necessarily thinking about kids, or cooking dinner, or endless laundry, and so many other things. So yes, I’m really excited about the future, but I’m also so grateful for where we are right now and the fact that this time in our lives is fleeting and we WILL miss it.
It’d been a while since I’d ventured onto the land behind our property with the dogs. It’s off limits during hunting season, but since we’re in the clear now, I thought it’d be fun to explore a bit during the slow season of winter. I love seeing new places and it always leaves me so inspired and fulfilled.
Hi! I’m Brittani, and I’m a South Carolina and Georgia wedding and portrait photographer. I’m also a wife, bonus mom, animal lover, and passionate about creating real, timeless, and romantic images that tell a story and are full of life. I’m inspired by light, love, the outdoors, and adventures with my family. Feel free to browse the blog to see more of my work, learn a bit about my life, and don’t hesitate to send me a note if you’d like to chat!